Saturday, June 5, 2010

6 month and 18 month check ups = SUCCESS!!

Friday morning's doctor visit was quite the experience on a number of levels. I learned a lot that I feel is worth sharing.

1. I have two extremely healthy children and thank the Lord for that everyday. Its not something I ever take for granted.

2. I was either out of my mind or over confident when I decided to schedule their 6 mo and 18 mo checkups at the same appointment. My need for efficiency overshadowed my ability to care for two little ones in a small room at the same time. Reminder to self, two trips with one kid at a time is always a better idea.

3. Finding the right doctor makes all the difference. NWA Peds is fantastic but due to the number of kids in the clinic you typically just rotate through the doctors. I have loved them all but recently met Dr. Stacey Furlow and I am thrilled. She's now seen both my kids and I got full permission to specifically request my kids see her for all their appts (unless of course its an emergency and she's out). I always heard having a pediatrician who you trust and knows your kids is so great, it just took us a little bit to find that one. Now that we have we are not looking back!!

4. Eva is going through a growth spurt. She weighed in at 24.6 pounds which is right on and puts her in the 50th percentile on weight. Now the big news. At a whopping 32.5 inches she measured in the 75th percentile in height. My jaw dropped. This is the kid who came in either in the 10th or 25th every time and was deemed my shorty. Who knew! My favorite though was when she asked if Eva was saying at least 4-10 words clearly. I had to laugh out loud. I am not keeping count but would be shocked if it wasnt more like 40!! Shes totally my child in that regard. Atta girl. Then, she got 4 shots which she was NOT happy about but was so brave. The best part was that was her last round until she goes to kindergarten!! Phew!

5. Now there's Kellan. My shinning star, developing perfectly! However, now we have a new "shrimp" of the family. Weighing in at 17.1 pounds he's in the 25th percentile for weight and yes, at 25.3 inches he's in the 10th for height. What he doesnt have in size though he makes up for in personality. He's super strong, pulling up on his own, laughing, grabbing at things, jumping in his bouncy, eating baby foods but already eyeing grown up foods, and switched to only 4 bottles a day. Eva would never drink more than 6 oz at a time but Kellan will down an 8 oz bottle like its nothing. Dr. Furlow said let him progress as he wants. Being the second kid he has an example of what he's supposed to be doing so not to be surprised he wants to do things sooner than she did. So he's in the tub with his sister sitting up and splashing around, loving his highchair and still madly in love with his teachers at school. His smile lights up my day and his cheeks are the most kissable in the whole world.

6. Even for all the headaches they give me, the uncountable number of diapers I change and my intense desire to get my pre-baby body back, I couldnt imagine my life without these two. I was scared to death about what life with two a year apart would be and now cant imagine it any other way.



Eva wasnt much for the camera at this visit mainly because she was too busy taking the trash bags in and out of the cans while we waited on the doc. Hey, whatever kept her happy!!


Little man was also easy to entertain... I brought 3 books and 3 toys and all he wanted was the tongue depressor.


I just love this little face. Like "what? I'm just chillin'" - and that he does. He's so easy-going and all the time happy. 

How I got so lucky to have two such great kids is beyond me but I'll take it!? They are just perfect!!

No comments: