Monday, January 19, 2009

12 Weeks Fly By

Its hard to believe that 12 weeks ago today I was bringing home my sweet baby girl from the hospital weighing 5 lbs 6 oz. She stole our hearts the moment she came into the world and our love for her has only grown since. So as I sit here after dropping her off at daycare for the first time the day before I return work I am reminded of how wonderful the last 12 weeks with her has been. We have watched her grow, eat, sleep, play. She now laughs and smiles at us (and the TV). She's sitting up with help from us or her Boppy and has recently discovered her tongue and her hands. She now weighs 11 lbs 9 oz and is just the most beautiful little girl. I am finally able to put her in all the cute clothes we got her and really play with her in her bouncy or on her mat. She sleeps 9-10 hours a night but still hates getting out of the bath :-) It's just amazing what all has happened and I get excited every day to wake up and see what joy she's going to bring us that day.

So needless to day, today is very surreal for me. For anyone who knows me well, the fact that I havent cried yet is unbelievable. I guess I am just so thankful to have had this time with her and feel at such peace with where she will be while I am working. Now dont get me wrong, my heart breaks a little thinking of someone else getting to see all the cute things she does but at the same time I know she's in good hands with someone who will appreciate and enjoy all the cute things she does. I spent some time with Mrs. Summer this morning and I know Eva will have a blast with her and her new friends. I am looking forward to the new challenges work will bring and kind of excited to now be in the working mom's club :-)  

So for now, I am good. I know my baby is happy and healthy and loved. I have a great job to go back to that I really enjoy. In these tough times, I have plenty to be thankful for. I reflected a little yesterday as I watched the opening ceremonies for our 44th and first African-American President, Barack Obama. While he may not be who I would typically vote for, it hit me that it didnt matter anymore. I was just humbled and proud to have brought Eva into a world that, for the most part, embraces change and looks positively into the future. It weighed heavy on me that the decisions that are now made will effect Eva's world more than ever. Its a big change but one that I am happy to be a part of. For me, Life is good.

Eva's Homecoming October 27th, 2008

12 Weeks Later
Eva's First Day of Daycare, January 19, 2009

1 comment:

Anna H said...

Amanda,
Eva is so cute. Way to be a working mom and make it work. I am so proud of you for no tears. I myself cried at Ethan's first mother's day out. Enjoy your day off before you go back to work. I can't wait until I actually get to meet that sweet girl. Love.

Anna